Summer School is in Session
Trapped inside because of the heat? Bored with too much time of your hands?
Well, grab your carving tools, leather strop, and some basswood blanks
and join me in a little carving fun. If you don’t find something below that
interests you, check out our Wood Carving Project page for more ideas and for
basic instructions to the craft of wood carving.
Learn the easy and fun technique of chip carving with Lora Irish’s free
online seminar. Ten full pages, lots of free patterns, step-by-step instructions.
Ready to carve your first walking stick. This ten page, step-by-step
free carving project by Lora Irish will teach you everything you need
to create your own Snake and Twistie Stick cane.
This indepth step-by-step free relief carving project by Lora Irish
includes how to work a relief wood carving, how to use your
pyrogrpahy and wood burning in your carvings, and how to
add color to your relief carvings.
Fish decoys are fast, easy, and fun. A few hours, a couple of
basic carving tools, and a little imagination is all it takes to complete
this free online wood carving project by L. S. Irish.
Visit Lora Irish’ craft, wood carving, and
pyrography pattern and e-projects website.
Click on the link above for a printable set of instructions.
Here are three free downloads for your to practice!!!!
The link above is a Freebie Pattern Package which you can use to learn how to download, extract, and print our patterns.
- Click on the link above.
- A Window will pop up titled: Opening Irish-Free-2015-Pattern-Pack.zip.
In that window select “Save File”, not “Open With”. In the bottom right hand area of the Window select “Save”.
- A new Window will pop up that has the directory to your computer. That window will want to save the file in “Your Downloads”. You can select another area in your computer to save the file. In the left nav area of the window, scroll up and click on “My Desktop”. Chose where In the bottom right of the window select “Save”.
- Minimize your browser by clicking the line button in the upper right hand corner of the screen. This will drop the browser window down so that you can check your Desktop to see if the zip file is there. Sometimes the icon for a zip file or downloaded PDF file does not show up on your Desktop even though your computer downloaded the file. If you don’t see your zip file move your cursor into any empty space on your Desktop and right-hand click. This will open a small menu Window. From that menu select “Refresh”. This will reload your Desktop view and your icon should appear. If you still don’t see your zip icon then go check “My Downloads” as it may be there.
- Place your cursor on the zip icon and right-hand click. A Window will pop up, select “Extract All”.
- A new Window will pop up which allows you to decide where to extract the file, I usually chose to extract it as the file tells me in the location portion of this window. Select “Extract”.
- After the package is extracted you should have a new Window that shows the opened file folder. You can click on that folder, open the file and begin printing your patterns. You should also have two files on your Desktop now, one is the original zip file, and the other the extracted, open folder. Save the zip file to “My Downloads” or “My Documents”, you can open this file over and over again. Save the opened folder to whatever folder system you use for your craft projects and patterns.
- Note – If you double left-hand click on an un-extracted zip file you will see a folder window and you can see the patterns inside that folder. But since the file has not been extracted you can not print. So, if you can’t print you probably have not extracted the zip.
- Email me, Contact Us in the top nav bar, and I will help you through the process!