Step 10: Your fish is ready for its copper fins. I prefer to leave this type of painted carving unsealed – no oil or spray finish – as it adds to the aged look of the work. If I do need a sealer coat I use Golden’s Archival Varnish which is a mineral spirits based acrylic spray and a true crystal clear, dull matt.
SECRET – If you have started a painting on a carving that just is not going right, try this technique. Work the steps right over the painting you have already done. During the sanding steps you will re-discover little areas of your original painting which only add to the vintage look.
- Wood Carving and Burning Painting Supplies
- Paint Kit Supplies
- Steps to Success
- General Techniques used in Wood Carving Painting
- Burnishing your Wood Carving
- Simple Blending with Acrylic Craft Paints
- Acrylics over a Primer
- Simple Dry Brushing
- Dry Brushed Acrylics over Oil Based Stains
- Marbling and Splatter Painting
- China Painting with Acrylics
- Vintage Painting with Acrylics